Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

St. Nicholas Day

I have a lot on my plate right now . . . moving houses, unpacking, teaching lessons, preparing for our first recital tomorrow, participating in a Christmas show, going to chiropractor and midwife appointments (oh yeah, I'm 30 weeks pregnant!) . . . but I was determined to celebrate St. Nicholas Day with Hannah this year. I especially wanted her to feel the joy of giving gifts to others before the endless receiving she'll be doing for Christmas. So we made it happen. With all I've got going on, people might think me a glutton for punishment, but the truth is, I enjoyed preparing for St. Nicholas Day just as much as Hannah and Hans had celebrating it. That's right. So busy was I with my many commitments, that I didn't even get to see how it all played out.


I spent the morning and Hannah's nap time wrapping oranges, nuts and chocolate in tissue paper for Hannah's cousins and a couple friends. I made homemade macaroni and cheese for Hans to throw in the oven for dinner. I printed a St. Nicholas poem card for each family receiving gifts. And Hannah and Hans had a lovely time delivering it all and eating a warm dinner, just the two of them. Hans said it actually put him in a better spirit for Christmas. And that made it all worth it for me. That, and seeing these few snapshots he took of our sweet little girl.


What a little sunshine she is to all who meet her. People tell me that all the time. What a gift I have in her. How warm, friendly and spritely she is. And you know what? Tomorrow morning I get to see that warm, spritely face when she sees how her own acts of kindness have come round circle. Believe me, they are big shoes to fill.


4 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Best St.Nicholas day ever! :)

Carrie said...

How wonderful. This is the first year I celebrated St. Nicholas Day as well. I would love it if you would share at my sharing party at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2011/12/sharing-saturday-8_09.html. Thank you!

Suzie said...

Carrie - done! Thanks for stopping by!

Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing!!