This is one I created myself. Again, with the spicy food! I'm sure this would still be good without the crushed chili peppers and cayenne. Tenessa, I know you're allergic to asparagus. I've also done this with eggplant and it is FABULOUS. Just saute the eggplant with the onions. The trick to this sauce really is in letting the fresh tomatoes simmer long enough to break down. Keep the heat on med-med low for a good tomato-y sauce.
Tofu and Asparagus Arrabbiata Sauce
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
crushed red chili peppers (to taste)
cayenne pepper (to taste)
2-3 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can plain tomato sauce
pinch of sugar (to bring out tomato taste)
1 bunch asparagus, snapped into bite-sized pieces and boiled or steamed.
1 pkg firm tofu, cubed
salt to taste (sea salt is the best)
1. Sautee onions, chili pepper flakes, cayenne and half of minced garlic until onions are translucent.
2. Add fresh tomatoes and second half of garlic, heat until tomatoes become a little "saucy," stirring often. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar. Simmer for 10 min, stirring occasionally.
3. While the sauce simmers, boil or steam the asparagus for 1-2 minutes. It should be bright green and a little crisp. Add asparagus to sauce
4. Cube the tofu. Add a few minutes before serving, so it doesn't break up too much. You just want to cook it long enough to make it safe to eat (1-2 min).
5. Salt to taste. Serve over penne pasta.