Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Frauenliebe und Leben - part 2

Er, der Herrlichste von allen has not always been my favorite song of the cycle (there's one I dislike a little more than this one, coming later). When you read the lyrics you'll see why. My initial heated and feminist reaction was "man, this poet was full of himself. 'He, the most glorious of all?' 'Noble star and glory?' My character is singing to a god, not a man."

And why shouldn't she? Men are always singing the praises of women, goddesses divine that they are. Why is it sexist for a woman to reciprocate? I still roll my eyes a little whenever I sing this song, and that shames me because I know I wouldn't if it were being sung about me. There's nothing shameful in voicing one's affection. I usually find myself weeping by the end of the blissful, bitter romance that is Schubert's Die Schöne Müllerin, and I'd like to think I can elicit the same emotions in my performance of Frauenliebe und Leben. I have to bridle my pride, and I'm ok with that. In fact, I adore it. It's ever so thrilling to be changed by the music, rather than demand it be changed.

1 comment:

Aileena said...

I like singing Men's praises. I mean I'd never thought about it, but like you said why shouldn't they get some recognition too? good thought.